boardix
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» boardix   » Groups   » Codecrave   » CCC .1 linux release

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CCC .1 linux release
SkyRat
Resident Director of Personal
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grab CCC .1 Linux release here: ftp://boardix:warriors@fahadkhan.org/upload/CCC/project1

If you have problems running it let me know, its already compiled and should work on most new linux distros.

--------------------
 -  -

quote:
With the stupid limit on sigs my googlism won't fit!!

Posts: 2518 | From: BFH | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Princevermont     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
isnt it suposed to be open source? wheres the source maestro?

--------------------
Ubuntu 10.10 ::: 10/10/10
 -

Posts: 884 | From: Lisle, IL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do ya really want to see it? do you know GTK?
I don't...
However, even though you dont know visual c++ i will post the source code, in a zip file since visual c++ projects are many files. (Object oriented, with each class in its own file and each window in its own class. Wonderful! There is also a resource file)

--------------------
Anybody can be cool, but AWESOME takes practice.

Posts: 4521 | From: VP luv | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
SkyRat
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its open source to CCC members, until it goes to a release version it will be closed.

--------------------
 -  -
quote:

madeinindia

Lurker
Member # 32

- posted      Profile for madeinindia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linux is free only if your time is worthless.
Posts: 42 | From: Lombard | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atomic-Ant
In Real Life Now
Member # 2

- posted      Profile for Atomic-Ant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty caustic words, my friend. Things are not so anymore. Someone back me up on this, but i've heard the Red Hat (i think) installers are easier than the windows installers. And to talk about time, one must talk about downtime. I use windows 2k and that and XP are the best operating systems microsoft have every built. But they still crash. They don't stand up to Linux when it comes to routing and other intensive processes. Talk to me when you set up a windows box as a router that stays up and running for months.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1768 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, i understand what mustafa is saying, just look at my article in the "Linux, oh yeah, linux" wired thread. But once its there, its cool. Speaking of, i think i'm gonna go and do a fresh install of mandrake 9.0

--------------------

SkyRat
Member # 10

Known problems as of now:

Nickname too long causes a spill over of the MSG into nick, this problem has been fixed and the program/source will be fixed shortly.

Currently the method of checking if someone is online works however if the IP is valid in format but the IP is not of a machine currently running (AKA wouldn't deny a connection) the program will hang. This is currently being worked on and will be fixed soon w/some threads.

Anymore quirks? Let me know!

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

SkyRat
Member # 10

After about 1-2 months of a REAL disto like slackware/debian/suse your time will not be a large factor in doing ANYTHING. Compile/install - download new kernel/compile - enable sounds - mount drives - done in no time.

The only MS OS that gives Linux a run for its money in reliability is win2k and even that under HUGE loads is gonna start dog'n it.

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

Fahad
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Fahad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
btw, at COD, the linux users group has a router setup in linux... and guess wut?... it only uses 20 MB... I dont' think you can do that in windows.... and it's stable... i've also heard that there is a project out there which fits on a floppy.... a router on a floppy.... damn... now tell me about worthless time mustafa....

--------------------
Who said anything about going away?

Posts: 798 | From: Lombard, Illinois, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

Yep, there is a version of linux, which i beleive is called coyote, that requires only a floppy drive and 12 MB RAM to run as a router. All part of the Linux Router Project.

And i think my router at home may use less than 20 MB. I'm not sure.

--------------------

SkyRat
Member # 10

I believe the MINIMUM amount of memory to run linux is 8MB of memory, but many installers need more than that. I believe slackware needs 12MB or so.

--------------------
 -  -
quote:

SkyRat
Member # 10

Newly discovered bugs that have been fixed and well be released in the newest version soon.

- Buddy list locks up computer if your buddy is a REAL IP address but the computer is not online. If the computer is online and CCC is not open thats ok, but if the comp is off or is set to (for some reason i wouldn't know why) to block port 6767 by not responding to the requests the program would lock for about 25 secs waiting for the return of the connection request. Now threads have been added to combate this problem.

- Also a minor enhancement has been made to combate a smaller issue of if you delete a buddy while the program is trying to connect to him, the wrong user may be updated.

- Finally the issue of HIGH - 100-90% CPU usage has been fixed. It was brought to my attention by an article online. The Gtk TCP listen functions need to be told to stop listening on a socket once the socket is closed. Otherwise if you close a socket and do not "remove" or "close" the listening function the listening function goes into what is like an infinite but more of a confused loop where it tries to check if anything is on the socket and when the socket is found to be deleted it gets confused and just tries it again.

Ok, thats it. There may be some more large problems like these at the moment but I don't think so. BTW if you missed it I also posted some other bugs above that have been fixed.

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: SkyRat[] ]

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

SkyRat
Member # 10

Optimized the algorithm for checking which buddies are online. Now the connect() function is non-blocking but uses a select() function to wait only 2 secs before regarding the person as offline. So no more piling up wait states. Prior to this connect would have to wait somewhere around 120 seconds before it would timeout and wait stats/threads would compound as time went by. Very sticky if many of your buddies did not have their computers on.

Will post new code soon.

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Princevermont     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hows it comin? i wanted to test tonight but you didnt have new code ready.

--------------------
 -

SkyRat
Member # 10

Adam, its up at fahadkhan.org/upload/CCC

Get all the files so you can see the purdy graphics. Also, make sure "project1" is executable.

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

i can do that...getting it now

--------------------
 -

SkyRat
Member # 10

As seems to be the norm, my newest nightly release now claims 96% stability. Is it tested, nope. Am I picking a random number from the air, yes. Will I most likely release another revision later this week that claims improved ability, what do you think?

But seriously, adam/kordik and whoever else wants to try CCC-linux get the newest version. I moved the folder on boardixftp adam, and kordik source is up at ****box too. Grab it!

Fixed ALL wait_states
- accomplished through what I like to call ghetto threads!
Fixed ALL (hopefully) CPU hog loops
- cept if you add your own ip address in so don't do that!!!!
Added MSG when sending to a user not online

Whats next, enryption!

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

Well Dave, i downloaded and "tested" the program ("tested", meaning I opened the program and clicked around a bit) I'm assuming that a person's name and IP are red if they're offline. Secondly, it came up with the IPs/nicks of several people, and I can add IPs/nicks (fake ones) and it checks and turns them red, but when i exit, and then restart, those IPS are gone and the 5 original ones return, even if I delete them.

--------------------
 -

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

Okay, well apparently it can't handle exiting and restarting more than a few times, because the last time I exited it crashed X with 17 pages of errors (it appears now that the errors were just the same 2 errors repeated a billion times.) I cannot restart X because it complains about all sorts of files being missing. Mostly fonts. Here is the file (openoffice.org style) for you to view. Also, when i click the mode button the program just completely quits. Hey, i think that this 17 pages only happened after i clicked the mode button. heh. well here it is maybe you can figure out whats up:
http://www.fahadkhan.org/~boardix/Adam/CCC-output.rtf

--------------------
 -

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

oh, and i forgot to include my info:

Mandrake 9.0 (yeah baby) with XFree86 4.2.1
gnome 2.0 is run on.
folding at home was running also, and XMMS, and the linux AIM client.

AMD athlon 900MHZ
256MB ram (which was full after the crash, only 195 MB used before)
there sthat for you

--------------------
 -

SkyRat
Member # 10

Well, when did you download the program, a couple days ago or maybe yesturday? Also, your buddies are not being saved because the file "buddybase" needs to be writeable, which when you download it over FTP it won't be.

And yes, currently the mode button is to close the program. As for crashing I'm not sure why that is.

From the error log, it looks like you got an "old" version that I updated, try getting the one thats up now. I've gotten those error msgs before but it never shutdown X.

P.S. It currently works fine on my laptop and jons desktop for what I can tell. If you download the newest let me know how you come about any error messages.

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

SkyRat
Member # 10

I just got the same erros msg you got by closing the program with the close window button ala windows style. It doesn't do this for you if you close using the mode button does it?

--------------------
 -  -
quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

okay since i am not (yet) a linux genius, how do i make a file writable, and which file is it that i need to change? I know how to make executable 'chmod +x Project1' and thats what I did.

Also do you know where i can get the package "fixed width fonts" because that is the only thing that X complains about now.

--------------------
 -

SkyRat
Member # 10

"chmod 666 buddybase" should do the trick!

I believe fixed fonts are part of the extra packages for the X11 server. Just try a search online and see if something turns up. Or give a wibble to X86Free.org

--------------------
 -  -

quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

let me know when you have time to go online and do some testing with this thing. I got everything working again on my linux, and the buddylist thing is working perfectly :-), and you are correct about the closing thing. Let me know.

--------------------
 -

SkyRat
Member # 10

The close window prob was easy to fix, new ver is posted. Go grab it, thanks for the heads up. We'll have to give it some good beta testing.

--------------------
 -  -
quote:

Princevermont
Workin Man
Member # 4

Yes, we do. Yes. Yes. Yes.

--------------------
 -

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

kordix.com

(C)2000-2011 The Boardix Community