boardix

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» boardix   » Groups   » Codecrave   » Dynamic IP Address

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dynamic IP Address
What Huh Studios
Member # 100

- posted      Profile for What Huh Studios     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what exactly is the solution for those who have a dynamic IP address. SBC DSL doesn't allow you to set your IP address unless, by chance, the one you want isn't taken... which is very very rare.

As of now, you would have to log off then log back on in order to have your fellows CCC's know when you are online, you would have to message everyone on your list... pain in the ass especially if you aren't really looking to talk to someone... I have a suggestion to remedy that:

When your client first loads, and whenever it notices an IP come online, it should automatically send a flag to every online IP just to give it a "heads up" that it is there.

In my client, I am working on an option for letting the system know that someone has a dynamic IP. Rather than this person being indexed by their IP, they will be indexed by nick, and when they do come online and a flag and nick are sent to mind from their computer, that IP address will be temporarily assigened to their nick.

Let me know what you all (the 3 of you anyway) think of this.

--------------------
http://www.whathuhstudios.com

Posts: 1688 | From: Villa park | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
SkyRat
Resident Director of Personal
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will get back to you on/after may 15th when the insanity has subsided =P

Until then tux version is on hold.

--------------------
 -  -
quote:
With the stupid limit on sigs my googlism won't fit!!

Posts: 2573 | From: BFH | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think its a really good idea, we are so far being pretty set on people with static ip's and lack of routers. So i think that is a good idea for the dynamic ip problem.

as for the routers, the only solution i can think up involves owning the router you are behind and being able to write executable files for it (ie a linux server/router/firewall)

--------------------
Anybody can be cool, but AWESOME takes practice.

Posts: 4619 | From: VP luv | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
What Huh Studios
Member # 100

- posted      Profile for What Huh Studios     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm just gonna throw it in mine as flag 15, and since mine is the only prog that will have it for now, i'll make an option to turn it on and off. The way I'll put it in is the first time a user is verified to be online I will send a flag 15 then the user name and thats it. If 15 is used for something i don't know about or yall want a different flag lemmie know.

--------------------

bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think we're trying to stay under 10 with the flags...

the taken ones are 0,1,5,8,9; the rest are up for grabs

--------------------

What Huh Studios
Member # 100

I'll go with 6 then

--------------------

SkyRat
Resident Director of Personal
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't assume we are trying to stay under 10, but we want to fill the first 10 before we go to more =P right?

--------------------
 -  -
quote:
With the stupid limit on sigs my googlism won't fit!!

Posts: 2573 | From: BFH | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

yeah, if we need more we need more, ya know?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

kordix.com

(C)2000-2011 The Boardix Community