boardix

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» boardix   » Groups   » Codecrave   » Puzzlehack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Puzzlehack
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.puzzlehack.org

This is a thing that Microsoft is sponsoring at U of I. These puzzles are freakin whacked. If you can solve any of them, let me, dave, and andy know, and we might make it worth you're while. maybe.

but any sugestions would be nice. don't read below this post if you wanna try it yourself, i'm gonna post progress on each of the puzzles.

Oh, and if you get n answer, dont email them, unless you go to my school.

edit: and by the way, last year puzzle 5 required you to portscan a university computer. i guess thats why it's puzzlehack.

edit 2: apparently you can still compete if you go to another college...some guy from washington university got puzzle 3...

[ October 15, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: osterix ]

--------------------
Anybody can be cool, but AWESOME takes practice.

Posts: 4521 | From: VP luv | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spacer

\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

\
\
\
\
\

--------------------

bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

Puzzle 1:

So far, we have taken the image, folded it into that thing that kids used to play with to tell you're fortune (like "pick a color...red...r-e-d...now a number...3...1-2-3...now another number...etc.")

Then you know from the title that you want to go a certain number of steps, and record the power of those steps.

I got the sequence 7 7 4 9 6 9 9 7

The answer is a word, but i don't know what.

--------------------

bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

Puzzle 2:

No ideas, found student, keynote, and reflections in the crossword. No clue what to do about the virgin islands.

--------------------

bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

Puzzle 3:

Okay, so what I have done so far is just adjusted the contrast so that I can a dot pattern. I assumed the dots were binary and converted them to decimal (and noted that 1,2,3,4,5 are missing). I attempted to put the numbers into a matrix (something about the green letters...) and now I'm stuck. I assume from the title that I should be doing some sort of transformation on this matrix, but with what?

I just realized that the dots are the first 10 letters of the braille alphabet.

[ October 15, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: osterix ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

kordix.com

(C)2000-2011 The Boardix Community