boardix

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» boardix   » Public   » Eats   » Beer (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Beer
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. On the one hand, it sounds like a great deal for Goose Island. Also, it may signal a shift in focus for AB with respect to craft breweries; instead of producing shitty craft brews to try to persuade people who want something new to keep buying their products and squash the competition, they'll instead acquire actual good craft breweries and let them keep doing their thing while collecting the money. I wonder if InBev has something to do with the new strategy.

But on the other hand, I don't think anything's changed but their strategy. The goal is still to destroy the craft breweries which are eating away at their market share, despite AB's efforts to completely hold them down. Will they stop spending considerable resources lobbying for the three-tiered distribution system that makes it hard for small breweries to get their beer to people?

I see 2 possible outcomes: AB buys a couple more craft breweries, gives them some better real estate on shelves, and pushes out other small brews, or, this backfires and the higher exposure people have to the select craft brews raises interest in other craft brews. However, I don't think AB is dumb enough to let that happen. So I think this is a bad thing.

--------------------
Anybody can be cool, but AWESOME takes practice.

Posts: 4601 | From: VP luv | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Griegs
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for Griegs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Busch has tried to do this for a long time, buy other smaller market breweries. The beers that are dedicated to the "microbrew lifestyle" will probably not sell, short of economic constraints. Busch has a very very bad reputation amongst microbreweries it seems.

--------------------
"Okay---so what is your point in doing any of this? Most people would sooner kill a person than an animal---most of us know that, I don't see that you're saying anything new or original."

Posts: 1950 | From: Champaign | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigO
He Who Knows All
Member # 7

- posted      Profile for bigO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine Dogfish Head ever selling. Based on what I've seen of Sam, I can't imagine him letting them in the door.

--------------------
Anybody can be cool, but AWESOME takes practice.

Posts: 4601 | From: VP luv | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Griegs
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for Griegs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God no, that man is insanely dedicated to his beer. I think that's the same reason that Sam Adam's is where it's at today. I'm sure they've had offers, but they actually are so popular that they're beyond a microbrewery.

--------------------
"Okay---so what is your point in doing any of this? Most people would sooner kill a person than an animal---most of us know that, I don't see that you're saying anything new or original."

Posts: 1950 | From: Champaign | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
diddyp
Have lance, will travel
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for diddyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seemed like the appropriate place to mention that I started my first batch of homebrew yesterday with the kit Julia got me for my birthday. I'm using the Brewer's Best Weizenbier recipe kit. I'm a little nervous because I put it in the fermenter yesterday and haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock yet, but I'm trying to relax. I think I'll be trying to start a brewing/beer and cooking/eating blog as well, so I'll post a link when I do.

--------------------
the universe is made of stories, not atoms.

-muriel rukeyser

Posts: 3168 | From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
diddyp
Have lance, will travel
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for diddyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I know you're all on the edge of your seats, I thought I'd give you an update. There are now bubbles in the airlock, so no worries.

--------------------

-muriel rukeyser

SkyRat
Resident Director of Personal
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wohoo!
Posts: 2568 | From: BFH | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaelinth
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Kaelinth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that was a tradition this year for the March/April birthdays. Adam is also getting his homebrew equipment for his birthday. He just has to wait until we're in MD to get it.

--------------------
I'll put something witty here later...

diddyp
Have lance, will travel
Member # 19

Americans are turning against beer?!?

--------------------

-muriel rukeyser

Thatsafinecigar
Member # 137

- posted      Profile for Thatsafinecigar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those bastards.
Posts: 614 | From: Champaign | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

kordix.com

(C)2000-2011 The Boardix Community