boardix

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» boardix   » Public   » Politics and Policy   » Tribune editorial board member says Obama shouldn't run in '12

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tribune editorial board member says Obama shouldn't run in '12
diddyp
Have lance, will travel
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for diddyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't read the opinion page as regularly as I read the rest of the paper, but I saw this from Chicago Tribune editorial board member Steve Chapman today, and, I have to say, I found it quite ridiculous.

Here's a taste

quote:
But there is good news for the president. I checked the Constitution, and he is under no compulsion to run for re-election. He can scrap the campaign, bag the fundraising calls and never watch another Republican debate as long as he's willing to vacate the premises by Jan. 20, 2013.

That might be the sensible thing to do. It's hard for a president to win a second term when unemployment is painfully high. If the economy were in full rebound mode, Obama might win anyway. But it isn't, and it may fall into a second recession — in which case voters will decide his middle name is Hoover, not Hussein. Why not leave of his own volition instead of waiting to get the ax?

--------------------
the universe is made of stories, not atoms.

-muriel rukeyser

Posts: 3038 | From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
j0n
resident cyclist (aka - dude w/ the pole)
Member # 11

- posted      Profile for j0n     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be really surprised if Obama did not run for re-election; it would speak poorly of him as a leader if he threw in the towel. Not that I would blame him. Maybe it's because of my political bias, but it seems politics has been way more partisan over the last 4-5 years. Perhaps this is a byproduct of the poor economy.

--------------------
Ninety percent of the time it doesn't happen, and probably it's just as well it doesn't, though if you can't get a level of candor on sex and you choose to behave instead as if this isn't ever on your mind, the male friendship is incomplete
P. Roth

SkyRat
Resident Director of Personal
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for SkyRat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And racism. I think a larger number of people than I'd care to have thought are racist.

I'm not confident Obama is doing enough, but I am deeply scared of the horrendously minuscule brains of the candidates he may be running against. Reality TV is ruining the brains of us commoners. People love watching Snookie. Why not watch Palin on another reality TV show called American politics?

--------------------
 -  -
quote:
With the stupid limit on sigs my googlism won't fit!!

Posts: 2524 | From: BFH | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
diddyp
Have lance, will travel
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for diddyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, it seems like Obama's biggest problem has been that the other side isn't willing to meet him in the middle.

He ran on his willingness to compromise and find common-ground solutions, so I'm not quite sure why people on the left seem so surprised that he hasn't staked out liberal positions on every issue and fought to the death to defend them. The problem is that the far-right wing of the Republican Party -- which, let's face it, is now pretty much the whole party -- has decided that it's not in its political interests to compromise on anything.

I think Obama has tried hard to live up to the idea of compromise, but, unfortunately, the result has been that he's ended up looking politically weak and many of his supporters are disillusioned because they don't think he's fought hard enough for their principles.

The "Buffet plan" and his recent Rose Garden speech seem like a step in the direction people want him to go, but I guess that means giving up the hope of finding any significant compromises. But when the other side seems only interested in defending the rich while watching the income gap in this country grow and grow and grow, maybe compromise isn't what's needed.

Our politics are definitely divisive, but I think it's important to put those divisions in perspective. On Meet the Press recently, I heard some talking head -- I can't remember who -- say that we've never been more divided. It seemed like an incredibly historically ignorant comment, given that half of our country once seceded and we had a Civil War that took more than 600,000 lives. Things are bad, but they could be much, much worse.

--------------------
the universe is made of stories, not atoms.

-muriel rukeyser

Posts: 3038 | From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
JenMagenta
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for JenMagenta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meet me in the middle

--------------------
Can I bake you some cookies?

Posts: 1860 | From: phoenix, az | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

kordix.com

(C)2000-2011 The Boardix Community